The Easiest Candle Making Tutorial Ever!
Besides cushions, the other things I’m totally consumed by are candles – of any sort, really. It was only fitting, then, that I hunted down my own supplies so I could make my own collection of scented delights at home. If you read on, you’ll see how easy it is to make candles yourself (and where to get the kit from).
I’m going to give you a quick and easy candle making how-to in this post. I got my candle making kit from Aussie Candle Supplies – and I must advise that you follow all the care instructions that come with it. Now that the serious part is outta the way – on with the fun!
1. Choose a candle holder – anything that will be able to take the heat of hot wax. Glass holders are great but a pot like this one is effective too (the starter pack comes with glass holders).
2. Tape down the wicks to the base of your holder using the tape dots supplied. The bigger the holder, the more wicks you might want to use.
3. Choose which scent you’d like to use. I’m mixing two scents together. It’s all about experimentation and figuring out what combinations you like (fun!).
4. Grab your wax. One cup of wax flakes will make about half a cup of liquid wax, so measure out accordingly and tip the flakes into a saucepan.
5. Melt the wax flakes down slowly in a saucepan on the stove on a low heat. It will only take a matter of minutes to melt down completely.
6. Stir the lumps out toward the end and add drops of your chosen scent to the wax and stir. If the liquid wax doesn’t look like it will be enough for your candle holder, you can always add more wax flakes.
7. Once fully melted, pour it straight into your candle holder. I hold the wicks in place with chopsticks so they don’t bend too much. I recommend putting newspaper down for this part as it can get messy. Spillages are likely to occur.
8. Let the candle dry for three hours or so and you’re good to go!
This is how I make my candles and I must admit that it’s all a little ad-hoc. I’ve been candle making for over a year now so the process might not be as official as most instructions will demonstrate. What I can say, though, is that it’s a highly addictive pastime and it’s great when occasions roll around; you can make a friend a homemade candle – how cute! So go on, jump onto the Aussie Candle Supplies website and give candle making a go!